British Hussars (Home) Sword Sales For navigation links to various hussar regiment pages, see below

The Prince of Wales Own Royal Wiltshire Hussars
(Yeomanry)

The Regiment was raised in 1794 on the 4th June. Ten individual troops were formed initially but they were later grouped together to form the The Wiltshire Yeomanry Cavalry Regiment, they were initially commanded by Lord Bruce the man who's idea it was to form the Regiment. The Wiltshire Yeomanry Cavalry Regiment were the first Yeomanry Regiment ever formed.

The role of the Regiment in the early nineteenth century was that of assisting the magistrates in maintaining law and order within Wiltshire, for these services the Regiment was granted the title 'Royal' in 1831.

In 1863 the Regiments name changed to 'Prince of Wales's Own Royal Regiment', this was bestowed to the Regiment after they loyally escorted the Prince of Wales during a Royal visit to Savernake. From that day the Regiment has worn the Welsh Feathers as its main badge. In 1884 Her Majesty Queen Victoria authorized a table of precedence for the Yeomanry, at the head of this was The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (PWO) - hence the motto 'Prince in Armis'.

In 1915 the Regiment was deployed to France where it remained until 1918. During this period the Regiment saw service both as Cavalry and Infantry.

 

In 1917 the Regiment became the 6th Battalion The Wiltshire Regiment and in 1920 reformed as cavalry. In 1939 the Regiment moved to Palestine as part of 1st Cavalry Division. 1941 saw B Squadron became a Searchlight Unit and was besieged in Tobruk. The remaining squadrons took part in operations in the Syrian Desert, Iraq and Iran.

At the end of 1941 the Regiment was re-rolled as an Armoured Regiment in 9 Armoured Brigade which was under command 2 New Zealand Division. At EI Alamein The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (PWO) was the first British tank Regiment to engage the enemy.

In 1944 the Regiment was withdrawn back to the UK and became a training Regiment. 1947 to 1954 the Regiment was reformed as an anti-tank Regiment within the Royal Armoured Corps. 1954 saw the Regiment became an Armoured Regiment.

In 1958 the Regiments role changed yet again and they were converted to Armoured Cars, they remained in that role until 1967 when the Regiment was reduced to a Squadron and became 'A' - The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (PWO) - Squadron of the Royal Yeomanry. 'B' Squadron was designated a Wiltshire Yeomanry Squadron with the raising of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry in 1970.

 

Gloustershire Hussars | Hertfordshire Hussars | Lancashire Hussars | Oxfordshire Hussars | Norfolk Hussars | Nottinghamshire Hussars | Yorkshire Hussars | Royal Wiltshire Hussars | Worcestershire Hussars | 3rd King's Own Hussars | 4th Hussars | 7th Hussars | 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars | 10th Royal Hussars | 11th Hussars | 13th Hussars | 14th Hussars | 15th The King's Hussars | 18th Royal Hussars | 19th Hussars | 20th Hussars | 21st Hussars | 23rd Hussars | 26th Hussars | 13th/18th Royal Hussars | 14th/20th King's Hussars | 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars | Queen's Own Hussars | Queen's Royal Irish Hussars | Royal Hussars (PWO) | King's Royal Hussars | Queen's Royal Hussars | Links | British Hussars (Home) | Napoleonic Sword Sales |